Speed Science

I have a bad ankle and have for years.  The technical term for it is “instability”.  Specifically, I have a ligament that’s loose and allows the tendon wrapped around the ankle to rub back and forth against the base of the fibula, that little ball on the outside of your foot.

This means when I train and exercise, or rock climb, or bellydance or any of the things I do, I have to compensate for it.  I wear special insoles in my shoes that do 90% of the work.  The other 10% is a combination of stretching, ankle braces (though I’m trying some new stability tape soon for the large amount of time I’m barefoot), and just plain going slower.

Especially on the treadmill.  My office has a small gym I use at lunch.  I like the treadmill because I can listen to podcasts, and when I’m feeling ambitious, do some arm weights at the same time.   I tend to start off slow so my ankle can warm up, and gently increase the speed to get at something decent by the end of the 28 minute program.

Today a fantastic fast song popped up on my playlist, and I decided to CRANK the speed HIGH to match the tempo in the last 4 minutes before I hit the weights.

It felt FANTASTIC.  So fantastic I skimped on the weights and barreled through another 12 minutes walking.  The entire dynamic of the walking motion changed as I was moving north of fast walking and approaching running.  I could get a good solid heel-toe stride, and there was NO painful stretch to the ankle.  It was ALL in the calf.

And I have CALVES.  I went to Berkeley.  The entire campus is one giant HILL.  As I write this 90 minutes later, they’re loose and warm and very, very happy.

I’m going to experiment with these jumps the rest of the week because I’d LOVE to incorporate this level of speed into my routine.  It makes me sweat gigantic, accomplished buckets of crying fat.

It’s one step closer to jogging.  And boxing.  And wrestling and parkour and MMA and all the other kick-butt things I can’t wait to try.

Advertisements
Published in: on October 17, 2011 at 13:52  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://margueritekenner.com/2011/10/17/speed-science/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s